Fear leads to flight; Anger leads to fight.

...and Anger leads to a friend.

I used to take the school bus in the first few years of my school. As everyone who has been in it at least once would know the school bus is the worst place to be in.It was messy, it was dirty and it was filled with school-going litters howling, screaming and yelling till their vocal chords strained. And this one was no different either. The back seats of the bus was actually a mini fight-club. You settled your scores with people, grudges that were picked up in school.
I was introduced to this club in the first few months of my school itself. I was this young skinny guy back then,short tempered and foolish.(Today, I am old, skinny and still foolish.) Foolish enough to challenge a pig-sized chubby kid for a fight.
If I were to bet, I would have put all my stakes in his favor, even now.
But, back then I was foolish, remember.
So after a lot of name-calling and pulling at each other's shirt, we traded blows (and some bites from him as well). A left, a right, a jab, an undercut, another left followed by a right-handed punch - I got the lion's share of the blows that day. Somehow, by sheer fluke, one of my very few punches landed on his jaws and he started bleeding. Perhaps he could not stand the sight of blood.Or perhaps he could not stand the sight of my battered face. And he fainted. There was only one man standing. Barely standing.
I realized that day the winner takes all, even the punishment that followed the next day at school.After being reprimanded by the headmistress, I pleaded her to forgive me with all the innocence a seven year old could muster. I made friends with Berlin, the chubby guy with a more chubby left cheek that day.

That's how I got my first best buddy in school.

2 comments:

  Bury the Hatchet

March 28, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Well I see some missing elements here...

  Ravi

March 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Well there are some elements missing, can't understand how they disappeared. May be even they are scared of my dear friend. ;)